Early Reading and Phonics
At The Mead Academy Trust we use Read Write Inc. Phonics as our prime approach to the teaching of reading in Early Years and Key Stage One. Read Write Inc. Phonics is a complete literacy programme, for 4 to 7 year-olds who are learning to read and write.
Aims of Read Write Inc. Phonics
In Reception all children:
- Read storybooks and non-fiction books closely matched to their developing phonic
- Read with fluency and expression
- Learn to spell using known sounds
- Write confidently by practising what they want to write out loud first
- Work well with a partner
By the end of Year 1 all children:
- Are accurate and speedy readers
Whole Class Reading at The Mead
Once children have completed the Read Write Inc. phonics programme, they are immersed in core texts through daily Whole Class reading sessions. These sessions are carefully planned using high quality texts and teach children to develop key reading skills (Reading Vipers – adopted from The Literacy Shed). We also use Pie Corbett’s ‘Reading Spine’ to ensure that children have the best entitlement
to high quality texts as they move through the school. The Reading Spine for each year group is below.