Vacancy: Teaching Assistant (SEN Focus)
Castle Mead - Mascroft Road, Trowbridge BA14 6GD
River Mead School - Lowbourne, Melksham SN12 7ED
We pride ourselves on our comprehensive induction process, and delivering professional development to all of our staff throughout their time with us. We will give full training to the right person, as we believe strongly that it’s much more about attitude and approach than it is about experience. As a result, we welcome applications from people who are passionate about working with children, no matter what their background is.
You might have just finished a qualification in childcare or Teaching and Learning, or have worked in a specialist provision, or cared for children in another setting. Our staff come from a huge variety of backgrounds, and we embrace and actively welcome people from all walks of life. We understand the vast knowledge and skill that comes from a range of sectors. The key thing is to ensure you have the patience, passion, and dedication to work with some of our most vulnerable children.
On a typical day our Teaching Assistants:
• Work with groups and individuals under the direction of a teacher, to develop the physical, intellectual, emotional and social skills of children
• Assist with learning activities to develop children’s knowledge through support and encouragement
• Make observations of the children’s progress, attitudes and behaviour
• Prepare activities, make sure that appropriate equipment is available, and help clear away afterwards
• Administer First Aid and medication
• Display children’s work in classrooms and corridors, to celebrate their achievements and contribute to the positive, vibrant atmosphere of the school
This role will be a great fit for you if you are:
• Inclusive, passionate, and principled. These are our Trust core principles, and everyone who works for us embodies these in their own unique way
• Able to support all children with their learning needs
• Passionate about improving learning opportunities for all children in the school
• Happy to work in a team, as well as being able to use your own initiative
To be a brilliant Teaching Assistant, you’ll need to be someone who is:
• Able to communicate well with children and adults
• Caring, patient and calm
• Willing to undertake First Aid training (if you haven’t got a certificate already)
For these roles, you don’t need a Teaching and Learning qualification, but we’d love it if you were willing to undertake one (we will support you in this!)
How to apply
1. A completed application form
2. A letter detailing any additional information
Candidate Briefing Pack >
Application Form >
Equality & Diversity Form >
This role will involve contact with children and the post holder will be engaged in regulated activity relevant to children and will be subject to an Enhanced Disclosure and Barring Service check before appointment is confirmed.
This Trust is committed to safeguarding and promoting the welfare of children and young people and expects all staff and volunteers to share this commitment.
All posts involving direct contact with children are exempt from the Rehabilitation of Offenders Act 1974. However, amendments to the Exception Order 1975 (2013 & 2020) provide that certain spent convictions and cautions are ‘protected’. These are not subject to disclosure to employers and cannot be taken into account. Guidance and criteria on the filtering of these cautions and convictions can be found on the Ministry of Justice website.
Please note that by submitting an application, you acknowledge that we reserve the right to view any publicly available information published on social media platforms as part of our shortlisting process, in line with current KCSIE guidelines.
Child Protection Policy >
Code of Conduct >
What we offer
We recognise the value and contribution every member of our staff makes to our schools, and in return for their dedication and commitment we provide:
- An ambitious and vibrant place to work, with enthusiastic staff and children in all of our schools
- A highly organised and very supportive team
- High quality professional development opportunities from Day One, including a National College account, where you can access thousands of training courses online for free
- A clear vision with purpose and values that are supported by all our staff
- Unlimited, free access to the Employee Assistance Programme which gives all our staff confidential support and guidance whenever they need it